Friday, August 10, 2007

TGIF!

It's been a long time between drinks, as the governor of North Carolina said to the governor of South Carolina - at least according to Robert Louis Stevenson. I hadn't realized it's been more than a month since I last posted.

The library is migrating to a new integrated library system (ILS). We were able to do this because the city's IT department no longer wanted to maintain our clunky home-grown system, and perhaps with some waving of a magic wand the library was permitted to do this.

I feel as though I've been getting mixed messages about this system. I'm also a bit leery of all the blanks in our databases - materials marked missing when someone input an incorrect control number; items that have been lost but never deleted; lack of an authority file, meaning that materials have not been cataloged consistently not only because the cataloging rules changed (there was a time when Mark Twain was entered under Samuel L Clemens), but subject headings changed. Ah well - we go live August 20. Film at 11.

The Dodgers went on a six-game losing streak, finally broken yesterday in Cincinnati. I did get to see a great game Saturday night, when we came from an 8-1 deficit and nearly pulled off a victory. My next game is Aug. 29, a day game vs. the Nationals.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger cph said...

What kind of ILS are you getting.

I agree, that old IBM-3720 based system was painful!

2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home