Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Oh, No - Not Again!

In October, 1993, I was diagnosed with breast cancer. After three months of radiation and six of chemotherapy, tests showed that the disease had been caught in time. For 15 years, I felt I had conquered cancer.

I should learn not to be too complacent. When I had my routine mammogram, the doctors saw some irregularity in the films. I had another mammogram and an ultrsound, and the results of those tests led to a biopsy.

You guessed it - my breast cancer had recurred. On Monday I had a simple mastectomy with the first step in reconstruction. I came home yesterday. I was in a lot of pain - 1 being no pain, and10 being worst. I had trouble finding a comfortable position in which to sleep (pain at one point felling abot a 7). Today, however, my friends Billie and Marilyn went to the drug store and filled a prescription for Vicodin. I took two tablets, and they have really helped.

I am now awaiting to hear from my surgeon about the pathologist's report. That will determine whether I have chemo.

Meanwhile, I have yet to see the Dodges lose! We played the Rockies over the weekend. Saturday we scored 10 runs in the first inning. Matt Kemp came up with the bases loaded, and as soon as Vin Scully commented that he had never hit a grand slam!



2 Comments:

Blogger Librarian Lee said...

I will be thinking of you and wishing you well. Take care of my Joe for me.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Rob Amend said...

I enjoy reading your blog posts (even though I'm a Reds fan :( . I hope that everything works out well for you. All of us (your readers) will be thinking of you.

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home