Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Another Day on the Reference Desk


Today I'm on the reference desk from 12-1 - although my replacement may not get here until after 1 p.m.
Besides the usual directional questions (Where do I go to get onto a computer? What classes are you offering this month?) I've had a couple that required some searching.
A man had a ticket with a section of the California Penal Code noted. He needs a copy of the code section.
We have West's California Codes, Annotated. I find the section he needs. He wants a copy - it's a pain in the patootie to go upstairs where there's a copy machine. I go to Findlaw and after some manipulation, find the text on the state's website. I print it out for him.
People requesting exam books. We have a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) -- whatever's available is what's on the exam shelves. There's a heavy turnover for many of the popular exams (post office, police officer), and a lot of them get stolen, i.e., checked out and never returned. I just hope some of those who have ripped off our police exam don't make it onto a police force.
In between querents, I'm testing a database we're considering: Chilton's Auto Repair. I'm sorry we didn't have this available yesterday, as I had someone asking for a repair manual for a 1984 Cadillac Seville. Our copy, like Elvis, has left the building, but the information is available online. (I suggested he try the Los Angeles Public Library; they have an auto repair manual online, which people can access using their LAPL card.)
We've had a free income tax preparation service. Volunteers have been here Saturday mornings since early February. They won't be here this weekend, but will next weekend. Our assembly representative is sponsoring them in City Hall.
There's no one at our information desk to screen calls, which means that anyone calling the library for whatever reason gets sent to me. Luckily I don't have many walk-in clients, so I can direct callers to the library division they need.
Just another day in paradise.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home