Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The cafeteria in our City Hall is closed this week because of the holidays. I went to a Burger King that's in a former bank building. The BK is closed - permanently. Why?
  • Rising minimum wage
  • High rent
  • Worker's compensation costs
  • Frivolous lawsuits
  • The city won't allow them to install a drive-through window nor to increase their signage.

Some of this sounds an awful lot like whining. I don't care to patronize establishments that pay less than minimum wage. As for worker's comp costs, why isn't the business owner working with employees (read: teenagers) to reduce the number of claims?

I can't speak to the frivolous lawsuits against this particular restarant. I remember a McDonald's customer who sued because the lid came off her coffee and the coffee burned her. Maybe the BK store had something similar.

As for drive-through and signage issues: Given the store's location, and the probable expense of installing the drive-through (they'd have to take out an external wall), plus traffic (safe entrance through an alley), I'm not surprised the city has turned them down. Their signs seem adequate to me.

I'll go to McDonald's if I feel the need for fast food. The nearest store is about two blocks away, and I need the exercise!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home